Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Stress?

Today certainly turned out different than I expected. It started about 5 am when I woke up to go to the bathroom. After I got back in bed, I had some pain in my chest. I only lasted between five and ten minutes, it didn't travel any where, and my breathing was normal. I had my regular weekly oncology appointment at 11:15. When I got in the exam room, I told the nurse about it. She asked me a few questions and said she didn't want to sent her boyfriend (Carlisle County coroner) for me. She left the room and talked to Dr Winkler. When she returned, she handed me a paper bedjacket-type thing and told me to take off my shirt and bra and put that on, while she went to get the EKG machine. The EKG looked OK and my heart rate was 66, which is good. Dr Winkler called my primary care doctor and they agreed that a stress test is in order. Dr Williams' office would make that appointment. Dr Winkler said we would skip the Velcade treatment this week, so I made the appointment for next week and went to Burger King for a side salad for lunch.

By the time I finished lunch it was only noon, so I decided to go to Mayfield and knit at the Art Guild while I visited with the beading group, rather than going to the coffee shop where the other knitters wouldn't be arriving for over an hour. Also, if they were able to do the stress test this afternoon, I'd already be in Mayfield. 

It was about 2 pm when Dr Williams' office called. The test is scheduled for 8 am tomorrow. I am not to eat anything after midnight nor to have any caffeine until after the test. I'm also not to take my Atenolol (a beta blocker) tomorrow morning. Since the other things I would be taking in the morning are vitamins and minerals, I think I'll skip it all. The lady also said to wear comfortable clothes, especially shoes, since I'll probably be on a treadmill for part of the test. She also said to plan to spend most of the day there. That means I'll need to start a new knitting project, since the ones I have on the needles are too large, or otherwise not suitable to take along. I think a scarf for the Seaman's Church Institute will be good.

When I told Dana (Art Guild director) that I'd gotten my phone call, she asked if I had called Alyssa and told her about my new problem. 
"No, not yet."
"But you're going to, aren't you."
"Yes."
I have some good friends around here, haven't I?

I decided to drive past Alyssa's house and stop in if she was home. As I pulled into her driveway, she was coming out the door on her way to the dentist. So I drove her there, and told her about my day and the appointment tomorrow on the way.

So tomorrow will be a new experience for me.

I think I have a pet. There is a skink (a type of small lizard) in the house. I saw it one other time, months ago. I don't know if it has been in here all that time, how it got in, or how to get it out.  

No comments: