Friday, December 1, 2006

Crochet Class

Today was the first session of the beginning crochet class for some girl scouts and a couple of their moms. It turned out to be five girls and three moms. It went even slower than I thought it would (although the time went quickly). We spent the entire session on the single crochet stitch; I had thought we'd get to double crochet, as well. I had started swatches for them - 15 stitches by 7 or 8 rows. That way they had something to hold on to while working their stitches.

One girl caught on very quickly, but she sometimes missed the first or last stitch of the row, so her piece got narrower - common problem. The other girls were getting it by the end of the session (approx 1.5 hrs), but their tension was very loose. The mothers did well, although one of them kept trying to put her hook through the stitches from back to front instead of front to back. And another one worked two stitches in most of the stitches on one row, so her swatch was starting to ruffle.

I told them to practice during the week, using what they remember from today's session, plus the handout I gave them with drawings of how the stitches are made. I hope that next week we can move on to double crochet, and then get started on the scarves they want to make.

A cold front came through yesterday. I have The Weather Channel desktop minimized to just the temperature at the bottom of my monitor. Yesterday, the temp was lower every time I looked at it. Right now it reads 30. At least all the precipitation had fallen before it got cold, so we didn't get snow. When I checked my rain gauge this afternoon, there was 2 1/2 inches if ice in it - that rain was from Tuesday night through about noon yesterday.

It's been so warm recently that my forsythias were starting to bloom. I hope this cold snap doesn't damage them. My father once told me that lilacs didn't do as well in KY as they did in MN because of the changeable weather here. I wonder if the same if true of forsythias.

Hey! I've had a comment - someone's been here besides my family! Thanks Joanne!

No comments: