Wednesday, December 6, 2006

Mailing Packages




This morning I got two packages ready to mail to my decendents who live in New Jersey - some Christmas stuff, some not. I took them to the tiny town post office which is less than a quarter mile away. Probably about a tenth of a mile if I walked through my back yard and out the water tower's driveway.





Our post office is very small. It has a few mailboxes, but does not do home deliveries. My mail comes out of the county seat, eleven miles away.




After the post office lady weighed the boxes and told me how much the postage was, she put two turnips up on the counter and asked if I like turnips. Someone had given her a bagful and she was giving some of them away. Only in small towns!


The turnips are really quite large. for comparison, those are 1 x 8's that my father used when he made that table 60+ years ago.

After leaving the post office, I decided to drive down to the river to see what it looks like now. That's the Mississippi River - about 15 miles away. This is at Columbus KY. You can see some barges there. I'm sure there were people around, but I didn't see any of them.
The embankment on the right is at the Columbus-Belmont State Park. It's the site of a Civil War battle, with the trenches still evident. It is also where a gigantic chain was strung across the river from Columbus KY to Belmont MO to keep supplies from reaching the troops - I can never remember which side strung it. Several of the links of chain and one of the anchors are in the park. Each link weights something like 28 pounds.
I finished the crocheted socks, but haven't taken pictures of them yet - maybe when I wear them on Friday for the next crochet class.
The dozen dish/washcloths I've added to my projects list are for one of the groups I belong to. I learned at the meeting last Monday that everyone gives a token gift to everyone alse at the December meeting. I have some 'terry' type yarn that I've had forever ( 5 cents a ball at an auction - each ball makes at least two cloths) that makes nice washcloths, and they're pretty quick to do. I'd better get back to knitting.

No comments: