Monday, December 10, 2007

The Shawl

Last Wednesday (12/5) morning I got an email from my daughter saying that her workplace was again providing Christmas gifts for women in a shelter. The card she had drawn was from a 50-year-old woman, who wanted a shawl in brown or peach, not wool. Carmen wanted to know if I had anything like that on hand. I didn't, but have plenty of brown in a cotton/silk blend, with probably polyester thrown in. From experience, I know that it is machine washable and dryable. I figured that if I set everything else aside, and used size 10 needles and an easy lace pattern to keep it interesting, I could knit a shawl in a few days. I finished it yesterday, and will get it in the mail today. It's about 28 inches wide and six feet long. The yarn is some I got at an auction for a nickel a ball, so what I used for the shawl only cost me fifteen cents. I hope it's something like what the lady has in mind. It helped that Alexis was with her dad and grandparents for the weekend, so I had no distractions. I'd knit for an hour or two and then get up and do something else for about half an hour. The weather has been so nasty that I had no desire to be outside.

1 comment:

Carmen said...

This shawl is absolutely beautiful but I knew it would be :) The women in the office have admired it and several have asked about the possibility of purchasing one.