Monday, September 7, 2009

Ahhhh, fall

The last few days have felt like fall! Wonderful! It also sounds like fall - crickets in the evening, you know.

It's great to have the A/C off and the windows open. I've even needed a comforter on the bed some nights.

Goldenrod is blooming - too bad I don't have any wool I want to dye.

The black walnut tree is losing its leaves as well as its nuts. It is the last tree to leaf out and the first to drop its leaves. I've discovered that the reacher/grabber tool the physical therapy people gave me when I had a hip replacement is great for picking up the nuts. I walk around with a bucket in one hand and the tool in the other, picking up the nuts and dropping them into the bucket. I'm getting quite a pile of nuts already and there are still loads of nuts on the tree. The squirrels will eat well this winter. I was surprised yesterday to see one of those little guys on my front porch swing.

No comments: