Friday, February 10, 2012

7 days of traveling

But only locally.

About noon on Saturday, Alyssa called and asked if I would meet her in Paducah in a couple of hours and bring Lexi home with me to spend the night. Sure. So we arranged time and place, and I had the company of my favorite ten-year-old for a few hours.

On Sunday, Lexi and I went to church in Paducah and then I took her home to Metropolis. I had not much more than arrived home (I was still changing clothes) than Sara called and asked if I could come over and watch Rose while she and Reggie went to a Super Bowl party at Alyssa and Stephen's. Sure. So I spent a few hours with my favorite six-year-old. I got home about midnight.

Monday morning I got up at 6 am (I'm not used to that since I retired) and drove to Metropolis. I stayed with Lexi because she wasn't feeling well, while Alyssa took my car to Marion IL for an obstetrics appointment.

On Tuesday I had an appointment with the oral surgeon in Lone Oak, which is now part of Paducah. My mouth has healed well. I can stop using the Peridex rinse when I finish the bottle I have on hand and just continue with warm salt water rinses. I'll go back in three months.

On Wednesday I went to Paducah for the noon Eucharist service at Grace Church and then to the coffee shop to knit and visit with my knitting friends.

I was going to stay home for the rest of the week, but yesterday morning I decided that I wanted to have lunch at the senior center in Mayfield. I'm glad I went, because I had a chance to talk to one of the center's board members. I think he's still the vice-chair. He's been spending more time there recently, since the director is ill.

And than this morning, I got a comment on my last entry here from Christa, who mentioned the lace guild meeting today. I don't do bobbin lace, but I did belong to the guild for a couple of years. I thought, "Sure, why not make it a whole week." It was nice to see that group of women again. I got several inches knitted on the scarf (for the Seaman's Church Institute) that I started on Wednesday.

The lace guild meets at Grace Church, so while I was there I took four or five skeins of yarn from the supply that was donated for prayer shawls and other charity knitting. It's not that I don't have a lot of yarn, but there are a couple of things I have in mind to make that I don't have the right yarn for here.

I'm continuing to weave about half as much as I knit. I now have a loooong (14 yards), narrow (32 threads) warp on the loom. I'm making mugrugs - I expect to get about 80 of them from this warp and then repeat that a couple of times. I'll donate them to be 'sold' in the rug stall at the Walk through Bethlehem in December. That should use up some of the 'stuff' I have here.

No comments: