Saturday, April 27, 2019

That Was The Week That Was

{Do you remember that show?}

My week was quite tiring for this old person. On Monday I had an appointment for my annual check-up. My blood pressure was a bit high. I told Dr. Pat what my week was going to be, and she said to come back when it was over and things have settled down a bit, and have the nurse check it again. I didn't tell her that part of it may have been sitting in the waiting room at least 45 minutes after my appointment time before being called back, and thinking that I may not make it to Metropolis in time to hear the high school jazz band play.

I did make it in time, but just barely. They were playing at the Mexican restaurant. On the way up from Mayfield, I was grateful for red lights as I was driving through Lone Oak - they gave me a chance to text with Susie about the kids. We met at the restaurant, and I took Lily and Calla and sat at the table with Lexi's Gill grandparents. Brady ate with his Ragsdale family. Lexi, of course, was the reason we were there. She plays trumpet in the band. After supper, we went to Alyssa's house, where I spent the week until Friday night. Alyssa works for the American Quilters Society and this was "Quilt Week" in Paducah. AQS has been putting on this event for a long time. People come from all over the world; Alyssa was really surprised a how many there were from Japan. So Alyssa was working looooong hours, and asked me to stay at her house to take care of the kids. Nothing like sleeping on the couch for four nights!

Susie (Stephen's mother) came over each morning and got the kids ready for school and then took them there. She's been doing this since Alyssa started working at AQS, because she needs to leave earlier than the kids do. Susie usually picks them up from school, as well, and takes them to her house until Alyssa get home, but I relieved her of that duty this week.

On Tuesday evening, I took the three kids and met Carmen at Mellow Mushroom in Paducah, again to hear the jazz band play. We got  medium pepperoni pizza for the kids and a small holy shitaki one for the two of us. Unfortunately, Alyssa was not able to attend either of those performances, but she should be able to go to the mall when they play there on Tuesday evening.

So that was two nights I didn't need to cook. On Wednesday, I did cook. I fed them the goulash Mother used to make frequently - ground beef, elbow macaroni and Campbell's tomato soup concentrate. I had peas as a side dish.

On Thursday, the school had a family reading night, with spaghetti and meatballs and breadsticks from Fazoli's, so I didn't need to cook that night either. Lexi asked if I wanted her to go with us, and I said it was up to her. I am SOOO glad she did; I don't think I'd have survived without her help. I think the kids enjoyed it. They had tables set up with activities related to books most of the kids are familiar with.

Friday afternoon, Brady went home with his grandmother Susie, and I took Lily and Calla to their other great-grandmother near Mayfield. So other people fed them that night. I don't know why the cooking seems so arduous for me - I guess because I've been feeding only myself for so long. I used to be a good cook, but I think I've forgotten how.

It was good to sleep in my own bed last night.

Today I drove in to Mayfield and went to the used book sale at the library. I went mainly for children's books, but of course I looked at the adult ones, a well. I bought 15 children's books, including one on insects and another on chipmunks and beavers (I think Lily especially will like those), and 8 books for me. All that for only $15.25.

No comments: