Monday, March 9, 2009

Daffodils for Pauline




Pauline is my sister who has lived in Florida for 30+ years. She says she misses the spring flowers. but not enough to move back to Kentucky. I'm a bit different: On cold days in winter, I soemtimes wish I lived somewhere warm, but not enough to forego the spring flowers and autunm leaves.


A couple of days last week, Alyssa asked me to be at her house to meet Lexi's bus and stay with her until either Alyssa or Trevor got home from work. One of those days I was sitting in the sunroom knitting when she got home. She greeted me and then walked into the living room. I thought she'd put down her backpack and come back out to the sunroom, but she didn't. She also didn't turn on the TV or ask for a snack. After a few minutes I got up and went into the living room. This is how I found her. I love it! She had the book in her hand with her thumb marking her place when she got off the bus, so she had started reading on the way home. It's a book they are reading as a class and discussing. She likes to read, but she also still likes to be read to. When she spent Saturday night with me, she asked me to read to her after she was in 'bed' (the couch in the living room). I read the first two chapters (only 17 pages) of The Frog Princess by E D Baker.
Saturday afternoon, Alyssa and Lexi met me at The Market House Theater in Paducah. The play we saw was Ramona Quimby. It was cute. I know Lexi liked it. Then we had supper at Steak and Shake, and Lexi came home with me. I took her home after church on Sunday.
Medical
Today was the beginning of the fourth cycle of Velcade treatment. Dr Winkler said that all the tests I had recently showed that there is still myeloma in my bones and kappa and lambda proteins in my blood, but not as much as two years ago, so he called it a partial remission. I'll still have to continue the treatments, perhaps for the rest of my life. I find I'm a little bit jealous of the people who have a finite number of treatments. Oh well, c'est la vie! These doctor visits and treatments are just the way my life has become. I'm making up for all those years when I hardly went to doctors at all.



No comments: