Friday, March 13, 2009

Lexi went to a funeral

for the first time today. Her other great-grandmother died on Tuesday. Madelene was 81 and had Alzheimers. She was Lexi's dad's dad's mother, and Lexi knew her quite well. Lexi is old enough to have observed Nanny's downhill slide for the past year or two.

I know that in the general scheme of things each of us has four great-grandmothers - her other two died quite a few years ago, one before she was born and the other when she was a year old. So now I'm the only one left. She also has one great-grandfather left - the others all died before she was born. Her Granddad is her dad's mom's father. He lives near Mayfield, so Lexi knows him well also. I think Lexi's lucky to know three of the 'great-grand' generation. All of my great-grandparents were gone before I was born. Although all of my grandparents were still alive at that time, two of them died when I was a year old, and another when I was about six, so I only really remember my paternal grandfather - and I remember him mostly as a crotchety old man.

No comments: