Wednesday, June 10, 2009

SHS Class of '59

That's Stanford (KY) High School, which no longer exists - now part of Lincoln County High School. I enjoyed talking with my classmates, some of whom I hadn't seen since graduation. No one looked a great deal older - or a great deal younger - than everyone else. There are varying amounts of gray in the hair (except for those who dye theirs and one who wore a wig because of chemo), and varying amounts of hair on the guys' heads.

This was only our third reunion. There was one at ten years, which I missed. My sister was getting married two months later, and I couldn't afford to make two trips from NJ to KY in that short a time. Then we had one at 31 years, which I attended. Now at 50 years, someone has suggested that we have one every year.

There were 29 of us who actually graduated together, but at least six others whom we consider part of us for various reasons. About a third of us have died, which seems like an awfully large percentage considering we're only in our late-60's.

I started my weekend trip on Thursday driving 365 miles to my college-friend Wanda's near McKee KY. I had a wonderful visit with her; it had been 14 years since we'd been together. Then on Saturday morning I drove from there to Danville, where we had the reunion. I drove through Stanford to see what has changed - mainly a new hospital and a new Wal-Mart. I also went to the cemetery and visited my parents' graves.

Sunday morning I had breakfast with one of my classmates and his wife at Shoney's. We were expecting more classmates to join us, but they didn't. After breakfast I drove to my sister's house in Louisville. I got to see my new grand-nephew who was born on June 1. Even normal-size babies are tiny, aren't they? His big brother, who just turned four and has been prepared for months to have a little brother, may be a bit jealous at times. His parents and grandparents will make sure he gets enough attention, though, so it will work out OK.

We're still talking about the Ice Storm:

As I drove around the state, I was watching for signs of ice-storm damage. There was not much along the southern part and in the mountains near Wanda's home, but more as I got west and north. As an aside: the last couple of hours of driving in Thursday and the first hour and a half on Saturday reminded me that I really like flat land. We have some hills around here, but they're little ones. Back to the ice storm: as I drove home on the Western KY Parkway Monday, I saw more and more trees that look like they belong in a Dr Seuss book.


Sunday morning on my way to Louisville, I missed the 151 shortcut to I-64. I was in the wrong lane and didn't have time to get over when I realized that was where I should turn. I thought about turning around and going back, but decided that it wasn't very far to the intersection of the road I was on and I-64. I had no sooner gotten up to speed on I-64, than I had to slow down - really slow. You know what they say about our crazy American idioms in which we say we drive on a parkway but park in a driveway? Well, Sunday I parked on a parkway. While we were creeping along, a towtruck went up the shoulder beside me. Then in a few minutes I saw a helicopter descending. At that point, we all turned off our engines - we weren't going anywhere with a helicopter on the road in front of us. I rolled down the window and later opened the door, grabbed my knitting and got a few rows done while we waited. After tha helicopter lifted off, we started moving slowly. At the accident scene there were three fire trucks, an ambulance, police cars and that towtruck. I caught a glimpse of a red car in the trees of the median, but don't know if there was a second one or not.

Monday morning, at the end of the Parkway entrance at Leitchfield, there were signs of the sort that usually say "mowing zone," but the first ones said "accident ahead" and the second said "right lane closed." Then there were traffic cones to make sure we all got in the left lane. Finally there was the accident. It involved two tractor-trailer rigs. One looked like it was going to go east in the west-bound lane, while the other had its rather beaten-up nose up against the trees beside the road.

I enjoyed my trip, but was glad to get home. I mainly rested yesterday, but I did go out a pull a few weeds. Then about 6:15 I met Lexi, Alyssa and Trevor at a Mexican restaurant in Fulton to celebrate Lexi's eighth birthday. They had a mariachi band playing. They came to uor table and sang Happy Birthday to Lexi.


Today was an oncology visit for me. Last Wendesday, when I went into the treatment room, the nurse brought me a pill and said that it was for nausea. Medicare now wants me to take that pill rather than have the drip they've been giving me. She said she'd call a prescription in to the drug store and from now on I would take the pills with me when I go for my Velcade. When I went to the drug store an hour later, they said that she hadn't called yet. Since I didn't need it until today, I said that I'd pick it up before I went to this appointment. I went there this afternoon and they still didn't have it. So I went to the Cancer Group to get a paper prescription. The nurse said she'd forgotten to call, but that they could give me from their supply today. Then she called in that prescritpion as well as one for potassium. When I got to the drug store, they had the potassium ready but not the anti-nausea drug. The pharmacist said that the insurance require a pre-approval for that one. She tried to call the Cancer Center, but it was after 5 p.m. and the phone was on the answering service. She said she'll call them tomorrow and let them know they have to get pre-approval. It's good I don't need it until next Wednesday!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

made my heart jump when i saw "accidents". don't do that. i thought you had one. love ya. dominic