Monday, June 1, 2009

Pam's Prayer Shawl

When I was at the Senior Center about a week and a half ago, I was telling Pam, Tamy and whoever else was in the foyer at that time about the prayer shawl ministry (an update on that follows). Pam said, "I need a prayer shawl." I started to say that I was working on that, but I wasn't sure that the one I was working on was for her. It will be a lovely shawl when I finish it, but it is tan and rather drab. Last Monday I was thinking about that when I lay down on the couch - not for a nap, just because I was tired of sitting up. I dozed off, of course, and when I awoke I knew that I wanted something colorful for Pam. I went to my yarn supply and got two yarns - one is called Reef Stripe and the other Light Teal. The Reef Stripe has turquoise, coral, medium blue, yellow, and light green; the light teal is a solid color. I alternated two rows each in a stitch pattern that is often called the bee stitch.

I took the shawl with me today when I took the car to the shop (It has cut out on me several times recently and at times the transmission seemed to be slipping.), hoping that I'd have time to take it to Pam. The only thing they found wrong with the car was low transmission fluid level. They put in more fluid and also a gas treatment, and I was out of there a little after 9 a.m. I went to the Senior Center and had several of the seniors and staff members put their hands on the shawl while offering prayers/blessings/good thoughts for Pam. Then I took it to her office and draped it around her shoulders while repeating my favorite blessing from Numbers 6:24-26. Pam said she really needed that today. Her red blood cell count has dropped in spite of the treatment she's been getting, so she has an appointment with Dr Winkler today to discuss other treatment options.

The Grace Church Knitting Ministry

On Sunday May 17, we had the first blessing of prayer shawls and laprobes during a regular service. Libby (the rector) had the shawls draped over pews scattered around the church. Her sermon was mainly an explanation of the prayer shawl ministry, which tied in well with the scripture readings for the day which were about loving and caring for our neighbors. Then she asked anyone who was near one of the shawls to pick it up and hold it to join in the blessing of them.

One woman stopped beside me on her way back from communion and asked if she could buy a shawl to take to her cousin in a nursing home. I told her that they are not for sale, but she could take one for her cousin. She said, "You mean you'd give me one to give to someone else." I told her that is how the ministry works. Even at coffee hour, she was insisting that she couldn't take a shawl without paying for it. I told her to talk to Libby about it. Her husband went to Libby, who told him that the shawls are not for sale, but that he could make a donation that would be used to buy more yarn. That satisfied them. I think that since Libby told the congregation that I had made all of the shawls and laprobes there that day, many people got the impression that I'm the only one involved.

That Monday, another woman from the parish called me and asked if I could use her mother's yarn. Her mother has knit scarves and watchcaps for the Seaman's Church Institute for years, but can no longer do it. I said we'd be glad to have that yarn, and arranged for her husband to take it to the church when he went to a committee meeting during the week. On Wednesday, I got an email from the church secretary saying that he had brought in four tubs of yarn. The following Sunday I looked at the yarn, There are four of the blue Rubbermaid containers that are about 14"x 20" x 15" deep. They are not all packed full, but almost, so it's a lot of yarn.

Last Thursday evening I went to a knitting night with the Presbyterians that I mentioned a few posts ago. One other woman from Grace was there, as well as three Presbyterians. It was a pleasant couple of hours even though it was such a small group.

No comments: