Friday, June 26, 2009

My fiber week

I met with other fiber people four days in a row!

Monday - LAFA
The Lake Area Fiber Artists met at the Janice Mason Art Museum in Cadiz. When we've met there before, we were always in the basement, so that's where I headed. The door was locked, so I knocked, and knocked, and knocked. Then I started pounding with my fist. I finally decided that they must be upstairs, so I went around to the front of the building and knocked on the main door. In less than a minute, Jan opened the door for me. When Mary saw me, she asked why I didn't go to Murray and ride with the ones from there. I said I felt like driving myself. She said there had to be more to it than that, and suggested that maybe her driving had scared me last time I rode with her. I told her that her driving has never scared me; I just wanted to drive myself.

Tuesday - knitting at the Ice House
The Ice House is the home of the Mayfield Art Guild. I often go there to knit on Tuesdays. Jo was in Evansville, so it was only Melanie and me. Melanie is not a knitter - she makes dolls, etc. She's been working on 'garden fairy' type dolls recently - beautiful stuff!

Wednesday - knitting at the coffee shop
After my appointment at the Cancer Group for bloodwork, I decided to go downtown to Market Square Coffee to say hello to Valerie and return a book (The Friday Night Knitting Club) I had borrowed from her a couple of months ago. I also had a piece of baklava and a cup of coffee. I planned to go to Michael's after that and then go home, but Valerie said there would be several ladies coming in about 1 p.m. to knit, so I might as well stick around. I told her I might be back.

The trip to Michael's was to use a coupon I had. About six months ago, at Lexi's insistance, I entered a contest sponsored by Lion Brand Yarn and Michael's Arts & Crafts. Recently, I got my consolation prize - a large (14 x 21 x 7.5) tote bag with the Lion Brand trademark in both sides, and a 20% off coupon from Michael's that had to be used by the end of this month. After the discount, I spent $19.51, but I did get the yarn I need to make sure one of the shawls I'm working on now will be the length I have in mind for it, plus a couple of other things.

I went back to the coffee shop and enjoyed spending a couple of hours with the other knitters, most of whom I had never met before.

Thursday - Charity Knitting
The monthly meeting of the Presbyterian/Episcopalian charity knitting grup. I was there with four Presbyterians. But again it was nice to chat with other knitters.

Neither LAFA nor the Charity Knitting Group will be meeting in July and August.

Yesterday I also did some mowing. When I used the mower last week, it cut out on me and I couldn't get it started again. I let it cool down; I checked the gas level and the oil level. Finally yesterday morning I pulled out the manual that came with the mower. One of the possible reasons for not starting that they listed was the spark plug wire not being connected. Now why hadn't I thought of that? I'm old enough to have done a lot of mowing with mowers for which disconnecting the spark plug wire was a way to turn them off. That's what the problem was. It had cut off when I was mowing under the lilac bush. I guess a twig had caught the wire and pulled it off. As soon as I reconnected it, the mower started right up. I mowed for about 45 minutes (one tankful of gas) then, and another 45 minutes a few hours later. I should do more today, but it now looks like we're going to get some rain.

No comments: