Tuesday, January 21, 2014

No More Port

Almost 7 years after it was put in, my port came out yesterday - it hasn't been used for 3 1/2 years.

When they tell you to be at the hospital at 10 am for surgery at 11 am, they are making their best guess at how long the surgeries before your will take. However, sometimes things don't work out that way. It was 4:19 pm before they rolled me into the operating room. The surgery before mine had turned out to be more complicated than expected. I hope some of that time was also used for the surgeon and OR staff to eat some lunch, use the restrooms, etc. Taking out my port only took a short time; I think we were back at Sara's house by about 5:30. I spent the night on her couch and got up when Rose got up for school. I left there about 8:30 - only 16 hours after anesthesia, rather than the 24 they recommend, but then I had not had much anesthesia.

I had some knitting with me, so I didn't mind waiting. We had 18-month-old Lily with us, so a bit after noon, Sara took her home, fed her lunch, put her down for a nap (Reggie was there) and came back. Around 3, she left again for something she needed to do, and came back with Lily just before they took me to the OR.
About 4 pm, I went to the nurses' station and asked one of the nurses to call the radiology department and reschedule the ultrasound and other tests I was supposed to have this morning. They are now scheduled for tomorrow morning, so I am about to begin the 'prep' for that. What fun!

No comments: