Wednesday, January 17, 2007

Hats, Hats, Hats

Five more hats knit from stash - four of them from the same Red Heart Pounder in Dark Plum.

The first two have the same 'Fair Isle' design on them. On the one on the left, the design is worked in purl stitches, so it creates a nice texture with no added color. On the other one, the yellow really brightens the Dark Plum, doesn't it?


There really are two hats in this picture. Although I tried to brighten it, it's still pretty dark, but I'm too lazy to re-take it. The left one is worked in a slip-stitch 'brick' pattern with a multicolor yarn as the bricks.

The right one is child size, worked in a modified bamboo stitch - R1: YO, K2, pass YO over K2. R2: work plain, i.e. K if working in the round, P if knitting flat. I modified it by working two plain rounds.



And wintertime Eeyore is wearing a cute earflap hat in a variegated yarn, with a knotted pigtail on top. It's a DK weight yarn and I used size 6 needles with 75 stitches, which resulted in very nice striping. The top is what I call a five-part swirl top - five decreases every round. That gives a relatively flat top to the hat.


Yesterday I switched from hats to scarves, or at least to A scarf. I'll probably make a hat to match it. I had to go to the hospital for a bone scan and knew that I'd have a two-hour wait while whatever substance they injected into my spread throughout my body. I thought a scarf would be a better project for that time. I'm using Brunswick Quickmist in a faded rose color. I have no idea how long that yarn has been in my stash. It's acrylic, but is quite soft and slightly fuzzy. I'm using a modified bamboo stitch for it with three plain rows between the pattern rows. I like the way it's turning out.

When I first went into the hospital, one of the men who frequents the Senior Center (where I used to work) was in the cafeteria having breakfast, so I went in to say hello. After registering and getting the injection, I went back to the cafeteria, and another Senior Center regular was there having breakfast. I guess that's where a bunch of the old men go every morning. I got coffee (it's free!) and a muffin, and sat there eating and knitting for about an hour and a half. Then I went back near the Radiology department and talked to one of the 'pink ladies' who lives a mile down the road from me. She said she had wondered why my lights were on already when she passed my house.

We finally had a sunny day today - well, until mid-afternoon anyway. I don't know how much rain we've had in the last week, but I know that the gullies in my driveway have rearranged themselves a little. And for a couple of days my herb garden was a pond! The Ohio River is above flood stage at Cairo (that's pronounced kay-ro) IL, which is less than 30 miles from here.

No comments: