Friday, March 7, 2008

Snowstorm

Lexi is excited - she says she's never seen a snowstorm before. Since there's a lot of wind along with the snow, I think this qualifies. It started about two o'clock with light snow, but they had already closed the local school a little more than an hour early. The wind has really picked up in the past hour. I let her use an old commercial sheetcake pan as a sled. I don't think it worked very well - there's really not enough snow yet for sledding. We'll see what it's like tomorrow.

Knitting

I finally sewed on the buttons and tightened up the buttonholes on the cape Lexi designed for herself and I knit for her. The buttons are red hearts to match the ones at the top. She's very pleased with it, and is looking forward to warmer weather when she can wear it instead of her coat. I don't know why she looks so solemn (that word doesn't look right, but I looked it up in the dictionary to be sure) in the one picture.

The top of the cape is worsted-weight yarn and the body of it is two strands of baby-weight held together - one strand of variegated pastels and one of pale pink. I ran out of the variegated when I was just past the halfway point on the bottom border, so I had to unravel the border. Then I used the pale pink and a not-quite-so-pale pink. I guess I'm pleased with the way it turned out; you just have to remember that the color choices were Lexi's.


I did more 'frogging' (for non-knitters, that's what you do when you rip-it, rip-it) today. I started a scarf for the Seamens Church Institute this morning using a stitch pattern that I though would lie flat. After eight or nine inches, I realized that it was curling more than I could put up with, so I unraveled it and started over with a different stitch pattern and a garter stitch border. It was only 33 stitches wide, so it really wasn't that much to 'frog.'

It's early (about 7 pm), but I think I'll crawl in bed and read. My current book is Waiting to Exhale by Terry McMillan. I've read one other book by her.

No comments: