Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Good-bye, skink

My resident skink has been caught in a sticky trap. I was surprised that it was in the weaving room - I had only seen it in the living room, heading toward the dining room. I hope none of it's family and friends come in.

Lexi spent Monday night with me. Yesterday morning we went to the Ice House/Art Guild in Mayfield. I took three shawls along for Dana to choose one to enter in the Arts in the Community show coming up in August. She selected two of them; she has an idea for how she can display them together. She had Lexi  make a sign for the show. I'm glad Dana and Lexi are friends. I think it's good for kids to have adult friends who are not related to them.

Then we went to Lexi's gymnastics class at 4 o'clock. On the way home I asked her if she does the stretching exercises they start each session with at home. She said she doesn't, and I told her she probably should. Her smart-alec reply was, "Said by a woman who won't even walk for exercise."

Medical:

Today was my oncology appointment. I had gained five pounds in the two weeks since my last one. That is probably because I ran out of my diuretic several days ago and haven't gotten the prescription refilled yet. My ankles are not puffed up, but there is probably fluid built up throughout my body.

My red cell count was down a bit again, so I also got a shot of Procrit, along with my Velcade, Zometa (for my bones), and Decadron, all through my port, and my Zofran tablet to ward off nausea. Do you think that's enough medications? Of course, this morning I took Atenolol (for blood pressure), Revlimid (for Myeloma) and several vitamins and minerals. This evening I will take more Atenolol and Revlimid and Zocor to reduce plaque buildup. 


Knitting:

Then I went to the coffee shop and met with my knitting friends for a couple of hours. A week ago, Valarie sent out an email about a group doing cleanup of pelicans, etc in the Gulf who wanted 10" x 10" washcloths and 14" x 27" towels. Valarie said she would collect them at the coffee shop. I took three towels and half a dozen washcloths today. Valarie said that she had received an email from the organization saying that they have already received 35,000 (or maybe it was more), so they don't need more. Valarie will give these to the local Bellewood organization that helps kids who have aged out of foster care to set up their first apartment, etc.

When I told Dana yesterday what I had been working on  for the past week, she couldn't believe that they had requested hand knit cloths for animal cleanup. I assume someone in that organization knew that there were thousands of knitters who had leftover cotton yarn and would love to spend a few hours doing some mindless knitting to use it up.

No comments: