Friday, July 9, 2010

It's Friday already?

Tuesday morning I picked up Lexi before going to the Art Guild. She and I were the only ones there (except Dana, the director) for a while. We had a nice conversation about various things. I told her about the book I'm reading - The Bookseller of Kabul. She had trouble believing that there are still people in the world who think girls should not be educated, although she seemed to know that was a common attitude centuries ago. However, I think she liked hearing that most people in Afghanistan use fingers rather than forks to lift food to their mouths. That's something that Alyssa and I both keep reprimanding her for. Now she will probably start telling us that she's pretending that she's Afghani.

By the time Alyssa came to get Lexi, Mary had arrived. She is a beekeeper, as well as knitter, crocheter, quilter, etc., and mother of five adults. There was another conversation ranging over a number of topics.

Just before Mary left, Evelyn came. She had called to see if I was there. She needed ideas for using some yarn she has for prayer shawls or scarves. One yarn was really interesting - I had never seen it before. She'll need to put something else with it to do a shawl, but we talked about colors, etc. Of course we talked about things other than knitting, too, including food. She said her son won't eat fruit - I find that very unusual. More common is that her husband doesn't like vegetables, except green beans if they are cooked down to almost mush. She said that their daughter didn't realize she likes green beans until she moved to DC and had them not overcooked.

Then before I left to go to Alyssa's for supper, I talked to Dana for about half an hour. Four good conversations in one day - not bad.

Wednesday was my oncology visit, and then knitting at the coffee shop. My red cells have stayed up, so I did not need Procrit. Everything else seems to be stable as well.

Yesterday I started moving stuff out of the room that great-granddaughter Rose will sleep in when she and Sara move in with me soon. I decided that since I have used up so much of the yarn I had accumulated, I could fit the craft (they're not all knitting) books onto the shelves in my room. Then I moved the shelves they had been on into the back room, with some help from Alyssa when she dropped Lexi off. Lexi helped put many years of several different magazines back onto those shelves, and I put other things on them. I think I like the way that back room is looking. Alyssa and Trevor are coming out tomorrow to move some other things for me, and to mow and weed-eat. 

I'm still working on the Tasha Tudor shawl. I started the edging a little while ago. Edgings always seem to take longer than I expect them to. They are so few stitches and each row does go quickly, but there are soooooooooo many of them! I do know now what my next project will be, but since I will do it with the rest of this huge ball of yarn I'm using for the TT shawl, there is no way I can start the new one before I finish the current one. Now I'm getting impatient.

No comments: