Saturday, June 2, 2012

Adjustments

When something major happens, there are always adjustments to be made. I know cataract removal with artificial lens implantation is considered minor surgery, but the difference is major for someone whose eyeglass prescription was -9.00 in one eye and -9.50 in the other. I can now see 'forever' with the left eye, and am anxious to get the right eye done.

I have two kinds of drops to put in the surgery eye four times a day. I often find myself reaching up to take off my glasses as I shake the first one in preparation of putting them in - then I remember that I'm not wearing glasses.

Wednesday night, as I was getting ready for bed, I looked at my bedside table and thought, "There's no case here to put my glasses in for the night." Next thought, "Silly me, I'm not wearing glasses."

It IS  bit disconcerting to see clearly with one eye and not with the other, but it will only be for a few weeks.

I have moved the monitor back as far as possible on my computer desk. Instead of being about 16 inches from my face, it is about 30. Of course, it's only a yellowish blur with my right eye, but is bright and clear with the left one - and I can even see it fine if I move back halfway across the room!

On the down side - I can now see that my floors are badly in need of vacuuming, and I can no longer use the excuse of "I'm never in there with my glasses on, so I can't see the dirt" if I let my shower stall get dirty.

I drove for the first time yesterday and all went well. We only went into Fancy Farm to the post office for stamps and to mail some bill payments, and to Dollar General.

My helper went home last evening. Alyssa came, bringing Chinese take-out for our supper, and then took Lexi home with her. I think she really missed her daughter for that week she was here. And she said Devin missed his 'almost sister.'

Lexi was a big help while she was here, but she also did a lot of playing on the computer and reading, as well as some crafty stuff. I'm so glad she likes to read.  In the school library, they can take tests online for the books they read to get AR points. This school year, she had the most, either in the fifth grade or in the whole school (I'm not sure which). Alyssa said that at the awards ceremony they had asked people to hold their applause until the end, but that when Lexi's AR point total was announced, they all clapped anyway. She got a bunch of other awards, as well. She said that when she was called up, her teacher told her she was going to be there for a while. I'm sorry I missed that.



1 comment:

Christa said...

Thanks for both yesterday's and today's blog. Excellent how you wrote that. It gives one a good idea about being in this situation. So happy for you because it sounds like a huge success. My mother lost her eyesight in her last years and doctors said that nothing could be done. So sad.