Tuesday, March 6, 2007

The Donut Hole

I had thought I would post to my blog Friday after the visit to the orthopedic surgeon, but I was too upset. The information I was given on Thursday about the cost to me of the Thalidomide was not correct. Oh, yes, I've been approved for it; however, the pharmacy called Friday morning and said that it had put me into the infamous 'donut hole' of Medicare Part D, so my copay would be just under $1800! As my son says, I knew that was going to happen sometime, but I just wasn't ready for it - especially after what I had been told on Thursday. I guess I'm glad that I have a ridiculously high limit on my credit card and that I hadn't asked them to lower it, so I was able to pick up the Thalidomide and get started taking it. It's blister-packed, with all sorts of warnings about not getting pregnant. Each small white capsule even has a 'don't get pregnant' symbol on it. The cancer group has sent a request to the manufacturer for financial assistance for me.

The visit to the surgeon was somewhat disappointing as well - I guess because it was inconclusive. His computer wouldn't pull up the bone scan and x-rays from the disc I had taken him, so he took some new x-rays. Actually, that was probably good, because he could see that there has been healing of the crack in the femur, so I probably do not need a rod. But when I asked about having the radiation therapy right away, he seemed to think that was not a good idea. I think he's afraid that the radiation might kill some of the new bone cells. The three doctors (surgeon, radiologist, oncologist) will have to get together to decide what to do.

Jumping up on my Soapbox

One of my cousins called me Saturday evening. It was really nice to talk to her. We really have not had much contact as adults - always lived a thousand miles or so apart and were busy with our own lives, kids, etc. Of course health issues were a major topic, and she mentioned that she did not sign up for Medicare Part D because she has never taken much medication. I said that I never had either - until now. But she went on talking and didn't seem to hear what I was saying. I fretted about that all day Sunday, and Monday morning sent her an email begging her to reconsider. She just turned 66, so is a few months past her Initial Enrollment Period and will have to pay a slight monthly penalty for late signing, but I think it would be well worth it.

For those of you approaching Medicare, or just past the Initial Enrollment Period, PLEASE take the drug coverage. It's not about how little medication you've needed in the past; it's about what you may need in the future. Even though I'm in that 'donut hole' at the moment. when I get past that into catastrophic coverage things will be better for me. And maybe the donut hole will be eliminated sometime in the future (I've always been an optomist). My parents didn't take the drug rider on their Medigap policy because they had never taken much medication, but later they regretted that decision.

Knitting

Dominic tried to get a picture of the moon Sunday evening while we were eating dinner. It didn't show very well, but you can see my knitting place without me in it. The loveseat is in front of the triple window in the living room. I sit on one end with my box of tissues and my telephone on the other, and a small table beside me for my mug of water and knitting-notions. The cat is often behind my head, looking out at the birds, etc.

I made another childs sweater for charity - started Thursday and finished Sunday night. I had this pound skein of Red Heart 4-ply acrylic, and a bunch of balls of leftovers in other shades of blue and of green. I decided I would do a slip-stitch brick pattern, using the medium blue as the mortar. When I stuck in that bright green, I thought I should probably take it out, but didn't feel like frogging. Besides, I know from prior experience that sometimes if you keep going with other colors, it works out. Although it doesn't show well in the picture, there is a yarn below the green that has spurts of bright reds and yellows mixed in with black, and a few brick-courses above the green are several courses of amethyst. After I added the amethyst, I thought it looked sort of like a landscape - bright flowers, then some grass, and a purple sunset. The rest is darker shades of blue. I just hope some kid will enjoy wearing it!


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I like the sweater and your knitting spot. I'm so sorry about the cost of the medicine, but I hope you can get some help from the company.

Renee