Thursday, March 1, 2007

It's March!

And right on cue, I saw about a hundred times more March flowers on our drive to Paducah today than I did yesterday, despite the clouds and rain. When we got home, I had Dominic take some pictures of the ones on the neighbor's side of the driveway. (It's a shared driveway and they have the south-facing bank.) For those of you covered with snow, this is coming!

I only saw one doctor today, because the orthopedic surgeon was sick. They called this morning and left a message, but we were already at the oncologist, or at least on our way there. So they've rescheduled me for tomorrow afternoon. We'll have to call before we leave, so we don't waste a 60-mile round trip.


They used my port this morning to inject Zometa. It's like Fosamax or Boniva, but supposedly better, especially with my condition. It took less than half an hour, and I was able to knit.

I took along some of the eyelash 'chemo caps' that I've been knitting recently to donate to the patients. Dr Balbastro says I won't be losing my hair, so I won't need any for myself. However, now that I have that information, I need to make an appointment with my hairdresser. I was slightly overdue for a haircut when this myeloma popped up. As soon as my primary care physician said the word cancer (although Dr B says this is not cancer - it is a blood disorder), I figured I might loose my hair, so why pay to have it cut. But I need to wait until my probable surgery is scheduled before I schedule something as frivolous as a haircut, hadn't I?

I've been approved for Thalidomide, and my drug policy covers it, so it won't cost too much. The pharmacy I ususally go to is not approved to dispense it, so I'll have to go to a new pharmacy. That's OK with me - I've been getting rather annoyed by the one I've been using. Of course that doesn't mean I'll like the new one any better. Dr B's office has faxed the prescription to the pharmacy, and we'll pick it up tomorrow afternoon after we see the surgeon. If he's still sick, I guess the Thalidomide will wait as well.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

THANKS for reminding me that I will be seeing the daffs sometime too! I sure enjoyed yours today!