Friday, March 16, 2007

Spring

I had Dominic stop at the bottom of the driveway yesterday so I could photograph the forsythia. He said, "OK, which flowers?" You'd think he'd have learned some plant names from me over the years, wouldn't you? There are two other bushes of it down there, as well, but this one is right beside the drive. The green stuff beside it is yucca, which will bloom in a couple of months. And see those steps and the sidewalk? Even tiny towns sometimes have such amenities. On the other side of the drive, there is even a street light!

It's interesting watching the changes in the trees on the drive to Paducah - a little more green each day - or red in case of red maples. The weeping willows are lovely. The Bradford pears are almost completely in bloom, as are the saucer magnolias. My flowering crab apples are starting to show some color, and my lilac is leafing out.

Medical stuff
I finished my first week of radiation therapy today. On Monday I will talk to the radiologist as well as having the treatment, to see how it's going.

I saw the oncologist yesterday. I'll be off the steroid until at least the 26th when I see her next, and she wants me to increase the Thalidomide to 150mg starting Monday. She's increasing it gradually to make sure I can tolerate it. So far I have edema in my feet and ankles, which started immediately after I increased from 50mg to 100mg. She told me to watch for signs of blood clots and if they materialize to stop the Thalidomide and call her right away. I also have a strange rash, that she's not sure is Thalidomide-related. She said it looks like bleeding into my hair follicles. She ordered a bleeding time test, which I had done at the hospital after the radiation treatment.

The manufacturer of Thalidomide said they could not help me with the cost of it, because I have Medicare Part D coverage. However they did send me applications to two agencies that might be able to help.

Knitting
So I'm spending much of my time knitting - both at home and in the car. I've finished a scarf for the Seamen's Church Institute going to and from Paducah this week. At home I've knit a short (approximately 20" at the front edge) cape to be donated to a nursing home resident. I did one last week in stockinette stitch - BORING! This one I used a lace stitch pattern, which made it much more interesting. I plan to do another one and then stop at the nursing home I pass every time I go to Mayfield to donate them there. I have one that I use all the time. It's easier to put on and off than a sweater and stays on better than a shawl. Mine has ties, but I'm putting crochet loops and buttons on the ones I'm donating.

I also finished a watchcap for SCI today. It had been sitting here on the couch about 3/4 done for a week. So now I've cast on for another watchcap to match the scarf I knit in the car. I'll probably finish it tomorrow and then make another one to match the last scarf I did.

I just checked my spreadsheet of knitting projects for the year - I've used 14.2 pounds so far! That's getting my stash a bit smaller. But I've got a long way to go.

Comment on Comment
Oh, Donna, how wonderful to have a comment from you! With all the medical things your family has been through, I know you understand my current situation.

No comments: