Friday, September 12, 2008

Shades of 1973!

Ther may have been other times since then of lines at the gas pumps and only being able to fill up on odd- or even-numbered days according to the last digit of you license-plate, but 1973 is the one that sticks in my mind because my husband has just died. They haven't done any rationing now, but there are lines at the pumps and plastic bags covering some of them because they are empty.

Alyssa called me this morning to say that she was not able to find gas in Mayfield, so I took her five-gallon gascan from the shed and went to see if the Milburn station had any. They did, but were limiting people to $30 worth. The five gallons was slightly under $20, so I was well within that limit. I used about 1.25 gallons doing that good deed, but at least she should have enough gas to get to work today and tomorrow. I'm getting weak - that forty or so pounds was difficult for me to lift into my trunk.

No comments: