Thursday, December 11, 2008

Defending knitting and women

When I called Dr Jackson's (orthopedist) office Monday morning, I was unable to get an appointment with him until Friday. They asked me to get the x-rays in the meantime and said I could fill out registration papers online to speed things up when I go in. I called the hospital about the x-rays and picked them up yesterday. I was expecting a big envelope, but I handed one that's only about 6 x 9 inches.

After getting the x-rays, I went to the Senior Citizens Center. The receptionist, Tamy, is back after some gynecological surgery. It was good to see her. She says she's feeling well.

I ate lunch there and talked with several people. I found it hard to believe that I actually enjoyed talking to Larry. I guess while I was working there (bookkeeper for six years) my attitude toward him was colored by my boss. He is her husband's uncle, and she doesn't like him. He told me I should come there more, and I said that my couch in my living room is the most comfortable place to knit, which is what I do a lot of. He said, "Knitting is for . . ." I didn't hear exactly how he finished that sentence because Byron walked up just then to ask me something, but I'm sure it was derogatory. I replied that knitting is for everyone who enjoys it, which includes me. Byron's question concerned the heating systems in the building. There are three of them, and the one for the dining room and activities rooms is on the blink. He knows that the part has been ordered, but is so pigheaded that he can't accept that as a reason for the rooms being cool. I was quite comfortable. He said that he thought it was just that the women who run the place don't know what they're doing. I slapped his arm a couple of times. They were both just teasing me, of course. That reminded me of my brother-in-law telling me several years ago that he liked to tease me because I don't get bent out of shape when he does.

Perhaps it's because I've been teased all my life. I have a sister who's two and a half years older than I am (two years, four months and five days, to be more precise) and who used to tease me a lot, as most older siblings do. I guess I just figured it was part of life and one had to get used to it. Pauline reminded me recently of that more precise age difference that Mother pounded into our heads. Another thing Mom made sure we knew was the birth order of her and her siblings. I think all four of us could say Hulda, Ida, Carl, Mabel, George, Ethel, Esther, Paul, Nina. Ruth, Florence and Richard by the time we started school. I was surprised to find out about fifteen years ago that none of my cousins knew the order. I thought it was something one had to know to be considered part of the family!

No comments: