Saturday, October 9, 2010

A Day with Rose

After my shower yesterday morning, I was sitting on the side of my bed putting on my socks and shoes. The shadow on the wall looked like Rose was standing on her bed. I asked if she was, and she said she was making her bed. I guess for someone her height standing on the bed is the easiest way to pull the covers up. She really does a good job of it.

After the dew dried, we went outside and picked up black walnuts. I thought she might have a problem with my using my 'reacher/grabber' when there wasn't one for her, but she understood that she's much closer to the ground and can easily bend down to pick up the nuts. We each had a mop-bucket that we put the nuts in and then dumped them in a pile in the spot I've used for that purpose for years. By spring the squirrels will have carried them all off. We'll need to pick up nuts again in a couple of days; they keep falling. I'd let them lie where they fall, except that we might want to mow again, although since it has been very dry, we may not need to.

After resting a bit, we took the wheelbarrow and the pruners and walked around the house cutting things that I didn't want growing where they were. The wheelbarrow got very full. We then pushed it to the burn barrel and put all the cuttings in. We can't burn now because it's so dry, but the stuff will be there when we are allowed to burn again.

After lunch, we walked to the building where we can pay the water bill (about a tenth of a mile). I thought it was Wednesday and Friday that they were open, but it's Monday and Wednesday. The building was originally a bank, so there's a night drop in the back wall. They leave it unlocked so people can drop their payments in any time, so I took advantage of that. On the way back, Rose asked where we were going now and I told her, "Home." She didn't like that answer, so she flounced off ahead of me.

 Later I handed her a tack hammer and had her pound down some of the nails on the front porch. (None of the pictures came out well.)

 Sara came home about 4 o'clock and they left soon thereafter; Sara wanted to do some grocery shopping, and Rose was begging to play with her friend Kyra.

Medical:

Yes, Dominic, you can believe it. Of course, remission is not cure. They will continue to monitor my blood, and I may be put back on Revlimid as a maintenance treatment if the protein in my blood goes up. Also remember that, as my friend Sara Lewis says, tests of blood and bone marrow only show the status of that particular bit of blood or marrow.

No comments: