Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Good News

When I saw Dr Heine on Tuesday, 9/28.he said my mouth is healing fairly well, but I need to continue taking the antibiotic and using the mouthwash, no matter how bad it tastes. He also said that the tooth next to the one that was pulled recently needs to come out, too. However he wants to wait as long as possible to let the Zometa work out of my system. I'll go back to him next week.

Today I saw Dr Winkler. He had very good news - results of all those tests he's had done recently. There is no myeloma in the bone marrow sample he took, and only a very small amount of protein in my blood. Therefore, all of the myeloma medication has been discontinued. They will continue to monitor me, of course, but for now we'll say I'm in remission. I go back next Wednesday to have blood work and see one of the nurse practitioners and then on 10/27 to see Dr Winkler again (more blood work, of course).

There is arthritis in my lower back and some pinching of nerves related to it, but nothing I'm complaining about yet.


Sunday at the almost-monthly breakfast one of the men's groups at church does, our deacon told me that he had taken one of the shawls I made to his aunt, and she loves it. Later, at the 'peace' another parishioner told me that her granddaughter (not quite two years old) had been given one of the shawls. I never thought of making shawls for children, but sometimes I run out of the yarn I'm using or I get tired of working that particular pattern, and the shawl turns out small. I always figured that people come in many sizes. I was thinking of adults, but now I may make a few even smaller on purpose. I know Lexi likes to wear the shawl she claimed, maybe other children would too.


Yesterday, I had both Lexi and Rose most of the day. It's fall break at school, and all the young adults were working. In the late morning, we went to Mayfield and visited the Art Guild and then the Senior Center. Then, while I was still talking, I let them go to the playground that is next to the Senior Center. I went down there a bit later and watched them for a while. We had taken sandwiches with us and ate them at the Art Guild, but by 2 p.m. they wanted a snack, so we went to Alyssa's house.

Sara got there about 3:30, and she and Rose left. Alyssa and Trevor both got home shortly after 5. I had let Lexi go across the street to play with her friend. I sat on Alyssa's porch and knitted and watched Lexi  and her friend (I'm not sure how to spell her name) doing cartwheels, backbends, etc.

Lexi is not used to sharing me and shows a little jealousy, although she claims she's not jealous of Rose. Rose thinks Lexi is bossy, and at times I agree. I need to ask Lexi's Nana how she is with her Gill cousins. Of course she's been around them all of their lives, and shared their grndparents, so it's a bit different.


dominic said...

fucking awesome. remission! great. do i believe this shit, or not?

Anonymous said...

Wonderful news from the doctor!!!