Saturday, September 8, 2012

Changing diapers

That's something I hadn't done for quite a few years, until yesterday.

Sara called me Thursday evening and asked if I could get Rose off the bus Friday afternoon. She said she would then feed me supper, and I'd be there for Kyra's family birthday party. I got there ten or fifteen minutes before the bus came and waited on the front porch (with my knitting, of course). Rose had a key in her backpack to let us into the house.

Reggie arrived about half an hour later, with Lily, who had been at his grandmother's house. She was sleeping in her carrier. For the next two hours or so, she stirred and opened her eyes a few times, but then went back to sleep. Sara was home from work before she really woke up, but was busy, so I picked her up and changed her diaper. The disposable diapers sure are different from the cloth ones I used forty-plus years ago. I did use disposables some with Dominic, because the sitter wanted them, but I always used cloth ones at home. There have been a lot of improvements in the disposables since then!

Sara fixed a bottle, and I sat and fed Lily, until Alyssa got there, sat down beside me and asked to hold her. Then others wanted their turn, as well.

After supper, we had the cakes:
And opening of presents:
The American Girl doll that Kyra's aunt Casey is holding was the big one. There were also clothes for the doll and matching pajamas for Kyra and the doll.

Alyssa had asked me if I could drop Lexi off at her grandparents' house for the weekend, since it's very little out of my way. It started to storm shortly after we left Sara's. When we stopped in Mayfield for gas, Lexi commented that now she understands why there is a roof over the gas pumps. Some of the lightning was blindingly bright. The rain was not bad when we got to the Gills, but I pulled as close to the door as I could, so she wouldn't get wet. Just then, the rain increased and so did the wind. I sat there for a couple of minutes, but then decided to go on. However, by the time I got to the end of their short driveway, I decided to stay a while, because the downpour made it hard to see. I backed up a little, then turned off the motor. The wind was buffeting the car. Within ten minutes, the storm had let up and I went on. There is a little road that cuts off from the main road to the one the Gills live on - two lanes, but not wide enough to have any lines painted on it. When I got to the end of it, there was a tree blocking about 3/4 of it. Fortunately, the ditch is shallow, so I was able to get around it. I was really glad to get home.

1 comment:

Carmen said...

If you want to see Sara do a double take put Lily in a Pamper diaper... I think it could be unsoiled and she'd still change it. She loves her Huggies :)

I hope Kyra was excited about receiving the American Girl doll as Sara was proud to give it to her :)