Thursday, January 24, 2013

What a day! - yesterday

On Tuesday Alyssa called and asked if I'd be willing to help her out a couple of days a week, by coming over and caring for Brady so she could get more work done. (She works from home on her computer.) She'll pay for my gas - about 2.5 gallons for the round trip. She wanted me to try it yesterday to see if it will work. Brady seems to like me, unlike his mother and sister at that age. I told her I had an oncology appointment a 11:15, but I could give her an hour or two.

So that night I set the alarm and got up at 6 am, like I did for 40 years or so. Took a shower, got dressed, had breakfast, and went out to the car about 7 am. The car wouldn't start! After several tries, I came back inside, called Alyssa to tell her the problem, and called AAA. It took about 45 minutes for them to get here, and, of course, the car started right up!  So I went to Alyssa's after all and played with Brady for a little under two hours. Then I went to the Cancer Group, had blood drawn, saw the nurse-practitioner and had my port flushed. Everything seems to be OK - no sign of myeloma cells in my labwork.

By then it was a bit late to go to the noon service at church, so I stopped at Kroger - no frozen stuff, of course, but as cold as it was, I didn't think the butter would melt while I was at knitting group. We were a small group yesterday - only five, but some of us stayed for a long time. By the time I got home, put away the groceries and made a cup of tea, it was 5:30. I was still reading emails when the phone rang at 6 pm.


Is this Adele?


This is Dr Bobo's office in Murray. We have Robert Rickards here. We've pulled a few of his teeth and are ready to send him home, but he really needs someone with him for three or four hours. He asked us to call you.

Um, OK. He has a ride back to Mayfield, hasn't he?

Yes, but he shouldn't be alone until the anesthetic wears off.

So I shut down the computer, picked up a knitting project and  book, and drove to Mayfield. As I was approaching his apartment, I saw the 'bus' letting him off. As the anesthetic wore off, he was in quite a bit of pain, but was much better this morning. I wound up sleeping in my clothes on his sofa. This morning, I took him to Walgreens to get two prescriptions filled - one is the anti-microbial mouth rinse I was using for so long, and hated the taste of.

At knitting group, I finished the scarf that has been my 'keep in the car' project for two months, and started a dishcloth since that was the other yarn I had in that bag. At Bob's, I did an inch or so on one of the shawls I'm working on, and also read a few pages of my current book - In the Bleak Midwinter by Julia Spencer-Fleming.

No comments: