Wednesday, February 28, 2007

Knitting from Stash - February

Since it is late afternoon on the last day of the month, I think I can safely say I'm not going to complete any more projects in February. So here goes on my list of 'accomplishments.'

I finished the small (roughly 3 x 4 feet) 'log cabin' blanket that I started last fall. I also made 12 hats, 4 scarves, 2 pairs of ladies socks, and finally, two childrens sweaters (see pictures at right). All of this used another 5.4 pounds of my stash, for a total of 10.5 pounds for the year so far.



For the non-knitters, a pair of ladies socks made with sock weight yarn and size 0 (2 mm) needles has more stitches than a child's sweater made with worsted weight yarn and size 6 (4 mm) or 8 (5 mm) needles. Each stitch takes the same amount of time, no matter what the size. Therefore, I took eight days to make the two pairs of socks, but only four days to make the two children's sweaters. I guess you have to call the sweaters 'designing on the needles while using up yarn from stash.' The cuffs on the striped one are not as small as they look.



Medical Stuff

I met Dr Locken and others of the staff at the Radiation Therapy Department at Western Baptist Hospital in Paducah this morning. They will be zapping my left clavicle and left femur to get rid of the worst infestations of the myeloma, but the timing of the treatments depends on what the orthopedic surgeon says tomorrow afternoon. If he feels a rod is necessary in my leg, the radiation will wait a few weeks until the surgery heals, if not, it will start next week. They think ten treatments will probably do the trick - that's Monday through Friday for two weeks. At 60 miles round trip, that will be a lot of driving.

I also see the oncologist again tomorrow as well. I don't know if she will get the Thalidomide treatment started then or not, but I do know that I need to have my port flushed - it's been in for a month, and hasn't been used.

You can go to the Purchase Cancer Group website (www.purchasecancergroup.com) for more information on the group.

No comments: