Friday, April 13, 2007

Rose's Blanket

I washed Rose's blanket yesterday and took pictures of it this morning before taking it to show off at the lace guild. It's hard to see the stitch patterns (I'm a lousy photographer) I especially like the heart and star that I tried to get shots of. they're worked in double seed stitch. I need to do something for my other great-granddaughter with the star on it - her middle name is Starr. She's gotten very good at drawing a five-pointed star and sometimes uses it in her signature (she's almost six).


















After we got home this afternoon, I put the blanket in the 'little table' that my father made for us kids when we were small and that I use as a coffee table. I looked up later and discovered that Midnight had decided to test the blanket. I called Dominic out to look at her, and he grabbed the camera.







Heartland Lace Guild




I went to the Heartland Lace Guild meeting today in Paducah. This group is mainly a bobbin lace group, but they let in anyone sho collects lace or is otherwise interested in lace. I'm not a collector and I don't do bobbin lace, but I do knit and crochet lace sometimes. And I'm facinated by bobbin lace. It doesn't seem like it should hang together. And how they keep track of all those bobbins and follow their pattern is beyond me. This hat is bobbin lace.
















And Renee, these two lace pillows are for you. You said you had never seen bobbin lace being done. Here are two different styles of pillows. The bobbins are worked in pairs, twisting the threads that are then pinned to the patterns which are on those blue pieces of paper. Maybe some day I'll try it. One member of the group, Lise, is a lacemaker, teacher, designer extraordinaire. I'm sure she'd be glad to get another person hooked on her favorite craft. She also knits lace.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Rose's blanket turned out really nice (as Midnight seems to be reflecting).

Thanks for the pictures of the pillows as I have never seen anything like that before.

Renee