Friday, June 29, 2007

Goodbye walker, hello cane

I had my first post-op visit to the surgeon this morning. They x-rayed the hip and said that it looked good. The incision is also healing well. He said to use my own judgement about going from walker to cane to no assistance.

Yesteray I phoned the Senior Center where I used to work and asked if they had a cane I could borrow for a couple of weeks. The receptionist said that someone from the local WalMart had recently brought in a few that people had left at the store. I guess they hold them for a while, but then look for something to do with the ones people don't come back for. So after the doctor visit, we went to the Center and I selected a cane.

About five minutes after we got home, both the nurse and the physical therapist from the home health agency came. The nurse did her exam (temp, blood pressure, etc) first and left. After doing the exercises, the therapist gave me a brief lesson in using a cane. I'm ready to switch to the cane, except for going to the bathroom in the middle of the night, when I'm not fully awake.

In the last few days, I have been walking a few steps at a time unassisted, and will continue to do so in the house, but I'll feel better having the cane with me when I go out. It probably won't be long before I give up the cane, as well.

No comments: