Thursday, April 3, 2008

Changes - again

My son-in-law is on his way back to NJ as I write. I took him to the bus station in Paducah this morning. He called a short while ago and said they had left Clarksville TN and were on their way to Nashville. I think he changes buses there and heads east to Richmond VA, where he changes again and heads north to Baltimore for another change. He'll get to Atlantic City about 4 pm tomorrow.

Now we need to get that bedroom painted a nice girly color of Lexi and Alyssa's choosing. One of my friends suggested painting one wall (or at least a large section of it) with blackboard paint and buying colored chalk for Lexi to draw with. I like the idea and so does Alyssa - we haven't mentioned it to Lexi yet. That will be her room, so we might as well have it something she'll like.

Medical - but not mine

While I was in Paducah, I went to Western Baptist Hospital to visit my friend Shirley. She's been having a lot of pain in her shoulder for three or four months, and has been to several kinds of doctors and a physical therapist. A neurologist finally suggested cancer in her upper spine. She had appointments set up for bone scan and CT scan on Tuesday, and a visit to my oncologist on Wednesday. However, on Saturday she could no longer stand the pain and had friends drive her to the emergency room at Baptist. She was admitted and has had those tests and others, plus a biopsy yesterday. The results of the biopsy are not in yet, but while I was there today a man came with a wheelchair to take her to the radiation therapy department. So I guess by now she has a bunch of marks on her showing where they need to direct the radiation. I had that on an outpatient basis last year.

Garden

Yesterday was a beautiful day. (I just saw a rabbit in my yard!) I burned paper trash and got the lawn mowers out of the back shed. I thought maybe I'd get to mow some today, but it's been raining all day. After Lexi got home from school, we walked around the yard talking about various trees and other plants that are getting ready to bloom. She seems interested, so I figure that if I start telling her the names of things and what I know about them, eventually she'll know something about gardening. We picked some cilantro to put on the pork chops for supper. We were pulling it out of the gravel path of the herb garden - it's only about an inch high at this point.

After supper, she was really bugging me and I raised my voice to her. She told me I should stop taking 'the grumpy medicine.' She's heard me say that the steroids I take four days a month make me grouchy, so that's what she was talking about. However It was last week that I took the Decadron and the side effects have worn off, so they had nothing to do with my raised voice yesterday. She wouldn't believe that her actions had anything to do with it, of course.

No comments: