Friday, December 8, 2006

Busy Friday

Heartland Lace Guild

Earlier this year, I joined the Heartland Lace Guild. This is a group who make bobbin lace, or who are interested in lace. I do not make bobbin lace, but it fascinates me to watch the others making it. I do sometimes knit or crochet lace, and I have even done some tatting. The group usually meets at Grace Church in Paducah KY and members come 75 miles or more every month to the meetings. For the December/Christmas meeting we went to Cape Girardeau MO to the home of the treasurer/membership chair, and had a delicious lunch cooked by the historian, who is also main teacher and lace designer.
I left my house about 9 a.m., stopped at the local post office to mail a letter (I paid attention to the mailboxes this time - there are 110 of them), and then continued my 60-mile journey. They are working on the bridge across the Ohio River between Wickliffe KY and Cairo IL (that's pronounced kay' ro). They have temporary traffic lights set up part way up both ends of the bridge. I had to wait about five minutes each time, although it felt like longer than that.
The bridge across the Mississippi at Cape Girardeau is new. This was the second time I have been across it. I noticed today that they have dismantled the old bridge - it was still there, but blocked off last time I went to Cape.
Crochet Class
I was the first one to leave the party, because I had to be back to Mayfield (75 miles) for the crochet class I'm teaching. The girls and ladies had practiced single crochet during the week enough to be fairly comfortable with it, so we moved on to double crochet. After practicing that for about half an hour, they started their scarves. I had written out a very simple pattern of one row single crochet, followed by as many rows of double crochet as they need to get the desired length, and ending with a row of single crochet. After they got started, one of the mothers asked if they could just do it all in single crochet. I said, 'Certainly, or alternate rows of SC and DC, or any combination - design your own.' It will be interesting next week to see what they've done.
After the class, I went to Wal-Mart for coffee and half'n'half - can't run out of those thimgs. I got home at 6:30 p.m.

No comments: