Tuesday, December 19, 2006

Gee, it's been a week since I posted. I must be busy! Not really, just didn't feel like writing.

CROCHET CLASS

Friday was the last session of the crochet class. I finally took a picture of the group. Unfortunately, two girls and their mother were not there. I gave them each a certificate, which I called a Crochet License, giving them permission to crochet any time and any place (within reason, i.e. probably not in school or when Mom or Dad wants them to do something else). The lady in the white sweater is the director of the Art Guild where the class met.



KNITTING

Saturday afternoon I asked Lexi to put away some of her things I had washed (one shelf in my closet is hers). She came back wearing this sweater I had knit for her last week. The yarn is 100% polymide and I did not enjoy working with it, but it is very soft and she likes the sweater - wore it to church on Sunday, as well as the green socks with the brown heels and toes. When her mommy saw those socks, she said she wants some like them, except with longer legs. I was going to make them for myself, but I already have over a dozen pairs of handknit socks, so I'll make them for her.


Sunday evening, when I took her home to put her to bed, Lexi told me that a certain package under their tree was for me. I said, "I don't want to know what it is until Christmas." She kept trying to give me hints, but I kept insisting that I don't want to know.


This is the angel on top of their tree. You didn't know angels play guitars? There's a whole string of guitar lights on the tree. Her daddy plays guitar, and she has a real one, too, plus a couple of toy ones.


LAFA

Yesterday was the December meeting of the Lake Area Fiber Artists. I picked Shirley up in Mayfield and went to her old place near Cadiz (pronounced Katies), where we met two others and went on to Jean's house. This is the group I made the dishcloths for. (I have two left, which I think I'll let Lexi give to her Sunday School teacher and the director of the pageant.) I should have taken pictures, but didn't. The house is on the hill above Lake Barkley - lovely!


On the way home, we spent a few minutes in Shirley's barn, which is filled with fabric, yarn, blanket selvedges, etc for the rugs she weaves, plus parts to make several looms, I think. She has gotten mostly moved to Mayfield, but I don't know where she is going to put that stuff.


TODAY


Today is the last day of school before Christmas, so they had their program for the parents - two performances. I met Alyssa there this morning. The first picture shows most of the pre-school and kindergarden kids.


This is the small section where Lexi is - second from the left, third row up. She fell off the risers during one of their practices, but didn't get hurt.
After the program, I went to the Senior Citizens Center (where I used to work) to visit and eat lunch. Nice building, huh? It's six and a half years old.
I've been retired almost a year now, and don't go back there nearly as often as I had thought I would. It's seventeen miles away, and I find I'm keeping busy with other things.
The dining room was sort of sparse today. Several people had already finished and left by the time I went back to eat (I spent some time talking with the receptionist), and at least a dozen plus the Director had gone to a Christmas party at another agency that they do some volunteer work through. The dining room seats 100, and they average about 70 diners, I think. They also deliver meals to about 80 homebound seniors throughout the county. I think there are still five meal routes - I have done three of them at various times - that's an experience!
When I left this afternoon, there was at least one table of some card game, and several of the men were playing pool.
I need to post this and get back to my knitting.

No comments: