Friday, December 29, 2006

My Stash

If I'm going to knit from my stash in 2007, I need to show my stash at the beginning of the year and than again at the end - we'll see if it deminishes.
To start with, in my bedroom, along the hallway, across from the bathroom and the walk-in closet, are these IKEA shelves. There are four sections, each about 32" wide, 11" deep and 6' tall. They contain mostly yarn, including in the plastic 'beach-totes' on top of the shelves. However, they also house my stashes of buttons and beads.

Also along that wall, but in the other corner, are some matching shelves that are 19" deep. On top of the shelves are my granddaughter's wedding dress, and most of my fabric stash (it's small, because I hate to sew), and under the area I photographed are my 'out of season' clothes. You can tell that I've bought storage containers at different times over the years as my stash has grown.



Moving on to the weaving room (the loom is out on loan) this small bookcase contains cones of yarn and thread. Many of the large cones are from a carpet mill. A (fairly) local carpet store got them and was selling them really cheaply, until they started putting them on eBay and discovered what people were willing to pay for them. The bags on the floor are different projects, either in progress or planned. All of the pictures in this room have sheep in them, including one of my father and a sheep when he was shepherd at West Central MN School of Agriculture in Morris MN in about 1930. What was then known as Morris Ag is now a branch of the University of MN (or 'the U' as all Minnesotans seem to call it).

Opposite the small bookcase stand two more sections of the 11" deep IKEA shalves with my library of fiber books and magazines, plus more cones of yarn and part of my sheep collection. The red pillar on the right and the blue one on the left are stacks of jersey fabric 'wheels' to be used for weaving rugs. They came from a pajama factory (cuffs, neckbands) and a friend rescued a truckload from being taken to the dump. She then gave some to me and other weavers she knew. There are more towers of it in the opposite corner of the room.
Now to the dining room. I've just recently been able to move some of what was here onto the bedroom, so all that is left is two shelves in this small bookcase. This is all worsted weight acrylic - mostly what a friend calls 'dead lady yarn' given to me when someone has died or gone into a nursing home.
The blue basket with the red flower is one I made in a class a few months ago. It was meant to have a nice natural finish on it, but I decided to stick it in a dyepot. Then I knit two flowers and several leaves to decorate the sides. I filled it with handspun and a pair of wooden needles with a small project on them and entered it in the Arts in the Community exhibit at the Mayfield Art Guild last August. Anyone can enter whatever they want in that show.
And finally, in the living room, my basket of sock yarn on the hearth.
There's enough there for at least a dozen pairs of socks. I do plan to start a pair for my granddaughter soon, to match the ones I made for her daughter recently.
So you can see that I'll probably not run out of yarn in 2007, even if I do a bunch of machine knitting. From a recent thread on the LK-150 Yahoo list, I realize that the problem with my LK-100 is probably the sponge bar. While I'm ordering that I will get one for the LK-150 (they may take the same one) as well. Then I should be ready to knit up a lot of the worsted weight yarn quickly.
Of course the first thing I have to do is finish the stuffed toy for the baby shower on January 9. And if I crochet one motif a day on Yvette's bedspread, perhaps I can give it to her for her third anniversary in Sept/Oct.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Adele

THANKS, having seen your stash I can now sleep knowing that mine is really not that bad!

I'm not sure that we will be able to tell the difference at the end of 07, you cannot possibly put much of a dent in it.

susan

Pennie said...

OMG - thats alot of yarn . . . i thought my stash was big! You should have no problem knitting from your STORE! Happy Year Knitting

Gigi said...

OMG! Listening to your stash reminds me of the Yarn Harlot with her free roaming skeins stuffed all over the house! I'll be haunting your blog to see what all that wonderful potential becomes. Happy stitching/weaving!

Anonymous said...

Adele, I have read your recent entries and have enjoyed them very much. I will continue to check in on you periodically,

Renee (your sister)