Friday, February 16, 2007

Finally some socks

After knitting only hats and scarves for five weeks, I finally did some socks. They're for my neice Autumn. She had surgery on her knee on Monday. My sister said the surgeon had said she could wear socks from home during the surgery. Autumn chose to wear the ones I made for her about twelve years ago! She had asked me a couple of years ago if I would knit her another pair, but I just hadn't gotten around to it. I cast on Sunday night, was working on them while she was in surgery, and finished them this afternoon. I was thinking of doing Dobby socks - you know, after the house elf in the Harry Potter books who thinks socks are supposed to be entirely different. But I changed my mind and made fraternal twins instead. I was using up some leftovers from other sock projects. The top two inches are the same, as well as the heels, but the rest is determined by the sizes of the little balls of leftovers. I like the foot with the dark stripe better.

Cancer

I met the oncologist on Wednesday. She ordered more blood tests, a 24-hour urine collection, and more x-rays. They took most of the blood at the cancer clinic. I did the urine collection yesterday, and returned it to the hospital today, where they took one more blood sample. I also had the x-rays today at the hospital - about 30 of them, I think. I may be exaggerating a bit, but not much. It sure is good this didn't happen a year ago - I had no medical insurance from the time I retired (12/31/05) until Medicare kicked in at the beginning of May.

I go back to the oncologist next Thursday. Until then, more knitting.

Clergy Visit

My priest brought communion to me yesterday. She had asked me a couple of weeks ago to let her know when I wanted her to come. I told her it's an awfully long way (30 miles). It was very nice to see her, and to take communion - first time since Christmas Eve. She also helped me out by taking some of my charity knitting with her - three paper grocery bags for the Paducah Cooperative Ministries and one for the Seamen's Church Institute. Now I'll have to start filling new bags.

No comments: