Monday, February 19, 2007

More Socks

A few months ago, I ordered some sock yarn from Knit Picks, including two balls of this Simple Stripes. I used part of one ball, along with some burgundy Essentials, to make a pair of 'Fair Isle' socks for me. I really like the way they turned out, although I wish I had made the tops longer.

The second ball of the Simple Stripes has been sitting on the top of the basket of sock yarn, which is beside the computer desk. For the last month or so, every time I have looked at it, it has said, "Renee." So I am making socks for my little sister Renee. She's the mother of Autumn for whom I made the orange socks that are in my post from a few days ago. Even though Renee is less than two years from her 60th birthday, since she is 7 years and 5 months younger than I am, she will always be my little sister.

Anyway - I decided to use some Essentials in Gulfstream for the cuffs, heels and toes of the socks and to otherwise just make them plain stockinette. I started with the partially used ball, of course. When I got to the end of it, I was in the middle of a pink section. When I pulled the end from the inside of the second ball, it was also in the middle of a pink section. Wonderful! That one stripe is a row or two wider than the others, but there's no little ball of 'wasted' yarn. Then when I got to where I thought I should switch to solid color for the toe, I was at the beginning of a pink section. Fantastic! I worked two rounds of the solid pink (it separates the blue of the Simple Stripes from that of the Essentials, which is good because thay are not exactly the same) and then switched to the solid for the toe. When I started the second sock, I was starting at the same spot in the color repeat as with the first sock. So Renee will have identical twin socks!

Medical stuff

My Family doctor called this morning to make sure that I had been referred to an oncologist. She had referred me to the gynecologist, who referred me to the surgeon, who referred me to the oncologist. Dr Elliott said that she had sort of been dropped from the loop. She wanted to make sure that things were moving on for me. She also wants the oncologist to know that she is my primary physician so she will get reports for her records. I think I told the oncology office that, but I'll have to make sure of it on Thursday.

2 comments:

handknitbyafailedfeminist said...

Best wishes to you and your family. I know that Multiple Myeloma is a scary diagnosis, but in my area there is a very strong support group for those living with this type of cancer. I love the fairilse sock!

Anonymous said...

I have some KP Simple Stripes that didn't really appeal to me, but I never thought of combining them with another yarn. I can't wait to try it! Thanks for sharing your great socks.