Friday, February 23, 2007

Knitting, shopping, etc

I finally finished the log cabin blanket I started last fall. The colors are red, amethyst, midnight blue, and forest green. I thought I would put a wider border around it, but by the time I picked up about 600 stitches and worked two ridges of garter stitch, I was tired of it, so I bound off. When I spread it out on the floor to take the picture, I decided that the narrow border was rather nice!

We're getting some warm weather this week - I like that. I even saw some daffodils (March flowers in local parlance) blooming yesterday. In a couple of weeks there should be yellow flowers everywhere.

Wednesday was Social Security day for me, so we went to Paducah to do our regular monthly shopping. At the first three stores, Dominic went in alone for the few things we needed, while I sat in the car and knitted. Then came Kroger. I had called on Tuesday to make sure they have electric carts (they have two). I guess I could have used the grocery cart as a walker, but it was much nicer riding. Of course, I was looking at everything from a different level, and that seemed to make it harder to make decisions. About half way through the store, the cart died, so we had to change to the other one. When we got home, I sat on the kitchen stool at the counter and divided up the family packs of meat, while Dominic brought everything in (we always use the wheelbarrow to carry things from the car to the back door) and put most of it away. Then he carried most of the frozen stuff out to the freezer in the shed. So we'll eat well for the next month, and not run out of paper towels and toilet paper for a couple of months.

Medical Stuff

Yesterday was my second visit to the oncologist. She took some marrow and bone tissue from a bone in my lower back for further testing. She is also referring me to an orthopedic surgeon, because she thinks I may need a rod in my left femur. I'll see him next week, as well as Dr Balbastro again and another doctor. I forget why I'm seeing the other one - I think I was still a bit drowsy from the stuff they gave me when they did the needle extraction of tissue for biopsy. Sometimes it seems like they're just trying to spread all the Medicare and Blue Cross dollars around to everyone.

They're also getting me approved for Thalidomide treatment. Don't worry about deformed babies - I'm post-menopausal, I've been celibate for years, and I've had a tubal ligation! There will probably be other drugs used later, but they're starting with Thalidomide.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The handles fell off the wheelbarrow ages ago & I am so co-ordinated that I always tipped it over anyway!! My best grocery hauler was a large, high sided kids toy wagon. It had wooden sides that could be popped in & out to take larger loads & big oversized wheels. I loved it!! Then one of the grands decided it needed to go home with him & I'm back to carrying in one bag at a time. Now that he's entered the teen years,maybe it would be safe to buy another one without fearing it will be "adopted" by a loving child!!