Saturday, February 3, 2007

Still Knitting

Well, I got the chemo port in on Thursday, and tissue taken from the lump on my collarbone for biopsy. The surgeon said it will take a few days to get the report; I have an appointment with him on Friday. I guess he'll then refer me to an oncologist.

My right shoulder ached very badly by the time we left the hospital Thursday afternoon. I took one of the pain pills as soon as Dominic came out of the drug store with them. It was a little after 5 p.m. when we got home, but I went directly to bed. By lying very still, I was able to be pain-free and sleep. Then I'd wake up, go to the bathroom, and start hurting again. I think I took two more pain pills during the night.

I figured that I wouldn't be able to knit for a few days. However, by noon Friday I realized that the ache in the right shoulder and arm had stopped unless I raised my arm above my head So I decided to try knitting - completed two chemo caps before I went to bed! I figure I'll need some soon. (I need a haircut, but if I'm going to lose it all, why not save the $20 for something else?) These caps are made from eyelash yarns. I had Dominic help me root out all of the eyelash yarns from my stash. There's enough for at least two dozen hats. I'll keep two or three for myself and give the rest away to other cancer patients I meet.



I'm also making scarves and watchcaps for the men who work the boats on the rivers. The colors really didn't photograph well; they are Rust, Light Wheat, and Soft Navy. They're the pattern with 14" ends and an 18" middle section in K4P4 ribbing. Those 14" ends are a good place to try out different stitch patterns. The multicolor scarf is not for the men who work on the I'm still just knitting from my stash.



In January, I finished three projects that were on the needles at the beginning of the month - the octopus for the baby shower, a pair of socks for Alyssa, and a pair of mittens. In addition, I knit 22 hats and 5 scarves. I used up slightly over 5 pounds of yarn

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Adele,

Hope you are doing okay! I am thinking of you! Been keeping up on your site and I really like those eyelash yarn hats! My Aunt Chickie started her Chemo 3 weeks ago (she was in remission from colon cancer for 7 years and now it is in her chest and stomach)and I would love to buy one for her if you have any available. Please let me know!
Love,
dana
lasvegaslounger@yahoo.com