Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Aren't friends great!

Friday through Sunday I stayed home and 'worked' - knitted, of course, hemmed the rugs I had cut off the loom, did a little weaving on two little looms (an 8" metal Structo and a BonHop. I think you can find information on them by Googling.) Monday I had to go into Mayfield to pick up a jug for the 24-hour urine collection Dr Winkler had ordered, and then dropped three rugs off at the animal shelter. I wanted to go to the senior center for lunch, but it was closed due to Martin Luther King Day. Yesterday, I stayed home.

Today was my busy day. I had intended to leave about 9 am, but I didn't get up until 8:30. By the time I showered, dressed, and had breakfast in front of the computer, while I checked email and did a couple of puzzles on JigZone, it was 10 o'clock. My first stop was the electric company to pay my bill. Then the hospital to return the jug I had picked up on Monday and let them take a vial of blood. By the time I got out of there it was 11:30 - too late to get to Paducah for the Wednesday noon service at Grace Church. So I drove past a 'drive-up' mailbox to put some bill payments in, and then went to Big Lots. I spent more than I had intended to, but I got quite a bit of food stuff. From there, I went through the bank drive through to cash a check so I'd have more than a dollar in my purse. Then I headed to Paducah.

In Paducah I went to Michaels for some Sugar and Cream 'dishcloth' cotton. They had it on sale this week for a dollar a ball. I should have gone earlier in the week - some of the bins were empty, and others almost so. I did buy quite a bit of it though.

Then I went to the coffee shop for the Wednesday afternoon knitting group. I was surprised that I had to park in the next block - I guess my guardian angel wasn't on duty. Or maybe she thought the walk would be good for me (I am too sedentary). I took with me eight of the rugs I've woven recently, and asked if anyone wanted them. They wanted to know the price, but I said whatever they wanted to give me, from zero on up. I came home with three of them.

I also had with me two 'wheels' of black, jersey fabric that had come from a pajama factory. It was about four inches wide, and the wheels are about ten inches in diameter. I want to weave some red and black rugs with it, but four inches is too wide; the red is half that. I asked if anyone had a saw that would cut through it. Valarie made a phone call to Jim, who builds sets at the Market House Theater. He came over in a few minutes, looked at what I had, and listened to what I wanted done. He took the stuff with him and said he'd see what he could do. He came back in an hour or so with four 'wheels', two inches wide - PERFECT!  He said he had wound up using an electric knife - like you use to carve your Thanksgiving turkey. He had to stop every few minutes to let the knife cool down, but it did the job. I asked how much I owed him, and he shrugged and said, "Anything more than a dollar but less than a thousand." So I gave him $20 from what people had given me for the rugs. I think that worked out very well. I may need to buy an electric knife.

Two more stops before I went home: the library to return two books and Kroger. I was too lazy to go inside the library, but they have a drive-up drop box out front. At Kroger, I stocked up on frozen vegetables and yogurt, as well as buying a loaf of bread. a pound of butter, and a few other things.

It was almost dark by the time I got home. Since I had made so many purchases, I did something I hadn't done for a while. I took my purse, knitting bag and coat with me while I unlocked the door. After I turned on a few lights, I took the wheelbarrow from the porch to the trunk of the car, loaded everything in it, and pushed it to the back door. That way I only made one trip. From there, it was easy to bring a few bags at a time into the house. I should eat well for the next month with just a few purchases of things like bread and butter.

No comments: