Saturday, March 3, 2012

I did it my way

With apologies to Frank Sinatra (my all-time favorite singer) and whoever wrote that song, and also to the women who designed the Citron and Wingspan shawlettes. I don't usually use other people's patterns, but these two really intrigued me when I saw them on Ravelry.

Citron (designed by Hilary Smith Callis): I did this first as written with a sport weight yarn and size 6 needles. It turned out to be 46 inches wide and 20 inches long at the center back. There are pictures of it on my post from 2/24. The more recent one, I did in worsted weight yarn on size 8 needles. It is 54 inches across ad 26 inches long at center back - a full size shawl.
Instead of doing the ruching, I did a different stitch pattern in those areas. First I did seed stitch, which can be thought of as blocks one stitch wide by one row high. In place of the next ruched area, I did blocks two stitches wide by two rows high. Then three by three, four by four, and finally five by five. I may have gone on to six by six, but I didn't have enough yarn.
 In fact, for the ruffle, I added a second shade of yarn in order to make the ruffle as long as I wanted it. I think it worked out OK though.



Wingspan (designed by Maylin Tan): Ms Tan wrote these directions for sock yarn and size 3.4 mm (size 4) needles. However, since she included suggestions for using heavier yarns and needles, I don't think she'll mind what I did. I used the same number of stitches she did with the fine yarn, but I used worsted weight yarn and size 10 needles. That changed it from a shawlette/scarf to a full size shawl ( 62 x 18 inches). I used mostly yarn from my stash, but did have to buy more of the multicolor. I also bought the yellow, because I wanted the 'mustard' rather than the bright yellow I had on hand.

It is a very unusual shape, isn't it?

I used all the colors for the edge along the top - single rows of the colors, leaving 18 inch tails on both ends. Then I braided those ends to make ties, although it doesn't need them.

Anyway, as I said, I did it my way.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, I am impressed.
Pauline

Barbara said...

I love what you've done! The shawls are beautiful... like everything else you've knit or woven.
Barbara

AlisonH said...

Oh, how cool!