Saturday, April 7, 2012

Black Walnut Seedlings, anyone?

Every fall, I pile the black walnuts in a certain spot between the driveway and the shed. Usually, by spring they have all disappeared. This year, there are still a lot left, and some of them have sprouted. I pulled up a bunch a few days ago, but there are still more. There must not be as many squirrels now, or the winter was so mild they had other things to eat.

Since the birds have now stopped dropping holly-seed-filled poop on my car, I decided it was time to wash it today. I didn't do the best job in the world, but it looks much better. It shouldn't look like this again until next year.
There'll be occasional bird droppings, but not like this.

I also did some weeding in the 4' x 14' bed where daffodils have finished blooming. The daffodil foliage stays until it turns brown, or course, but there were a lot of unwanted things there. Last summer, I had a couple of tomato and pepper plants, as well as some parsley, marigolds and sunflowers. The tomato and pepper and marigold plant carcasses had to come out; most of the sunflowers were pulled last fall. The parsley is beautiful now. Since it's a biennial, it should flower this year and then go to seed. I saw what I believe are several sunflower seedlings, and I'm hoping the marigolds have self-sown as well. In a few weeks, I'll get some tomato and pepper plants again.

I probably should do more mowing, but I think washing the car, weeding that bed and burning the paper trash add up to enough work for one day for an old lady. Now I'll listen to the news and knit.

No comments: