Sunday, September 11, 2011

Outdoors morning

I had my tea and toast on the front porch about 7 am, and knit a few rows on the baby sweater I'm working on (sock yarn, size 2 needles). Then I brushed my teeth, used the Peridex rinse (UGH!), put on my gardening shoes and went outside. I took the leaf rake and the wheelbarrow, and started raking up the 'hay' from when neighbor Robbie cut my grass on Friday. I dumped three barrow-loads of it in an unplanted quadrant of my herb garden, and put some in the little flower bed around the sunflowers and marigolds. By that time I was pretty hot and sweaty, even though the temperature was no more than 75, so I took a knitting break on the back porch. This time I worked on a lap robe in worsted weight yarn on size 9 or 10 needles.

After about an hour, I went out into the yard again, and raked up three more loads of 'hay' and dumped them in the same place. Right now that looks like a quite a pile of grass clippings, but it will go down as it rots.

After another knitting break on the back porch, I went out again. On this third foray into the yard, I had pruning tools and weed killer in the wheelbarrow. I filled the barrow with weeds and prunings, mostly of suckers coming up from the roots of two trees. I put all of that into the burn barrel. After it dries out for a few days, I'll add the paper trash from the house, and start a fire. By that time I was walking rather wobbly, so I quit for the day - and it was only about noon!

I'm spending the rest of the day knitting.

No comments: