Monday, September 19, 2011

Tea

I've been a coffee drinker since college. I like it dark roast and brewed medium-strong, with half 'n' half, no sugar (I'm sweet enough). I used to drink coffee all day, then sometime in my 40's I stopped drinking it after noon, and several years ago I cut out all but one cup in the morning. In the last three or four months, I've stopped even that as a regular thing, having it only occasionally.

I've switched to tea. My friend Peggy introduced me to a variety of teas in college. Until then, I hadn't known that there was anything other than the pekoe/orange pekoe in teabags. One of my favorites is lapsang souchong, which is not one you find everywhere. I bought some a few months ago at the coffee shop, but for the past month or so I've been using Earl Gray. I used the last Earl Gray teabag yesterday, so this morning I rinsed out my little two-cup, enamel-wear tea pot, and had some lapsang souchong - almost the last of my supply. When I took the first sip, I thought, "Mmmm, that's good. I need to buy more when I'm at the coffee shop on Wednesday."

No comments: